This document is an assessment of the risk of sourcing material from unacceptable sources in a given country, developed according to PSU-PRO-10-002 V1-0 EN The Development and Approval of FSC Centralized National Risk Assessments.
This risk assessment shall be used when implementing FSC-STD-40-005 V3-1 EN Requirements for Sourcing FSC Controlled Wood.
If you wish to see a synopsis of the public consultation feedback on this and other countries' risk assessments, please look here.
To check the progress on FSC risk assessments for other categories and countries, look here.
- Illegally harvested wood (Low Risk)
- Wood harvested in violation of traditional and human rights; (Low Risk)
- Wood harvested in forests in which high conservation values (HCVs) are threatened by management activities; (Specified Risk: Category 3.3)
- Wood harvested in forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use; (low Risk)
- Wood from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted. (Low Risk)
Category 3.3 – Specified Risk for priority 1 land environments not legally protected and the non-protected plantation and natural forest adjacent to these areas
Recommended control measures:
- For the areas containing priority 1 land environments not under legal protection and the non-protected plantation forest and natural forest adjacent to these areas: evidence of a local authority biodiversity mapping assessment and protection strategy in the relevant planning documents confirms HCV3 are identified and protected in the sourcing area;
- or consultation with an expert confirms a HCV3 assessment has been undertaken and there is a low threat to any identified HCV3 or the HCV3 are effectively protected. (consult the Annex E of FSC-STD-40-005 V3-1 "Requirements for Sourcing FSC Controlled Wood" for more detail on the recommended control measure)
Links you may find useful: